Direct access to content




University Paris-Est Crteil (UPEC) > Daily life > Visa

Obtaining residence permit

  • Pdf
  • Print page
  • Send to a friend
  • Share

All students coming to France from a country outside the European Union undertaking a stay of more than three months must request a residence permit (unless other special conditions apply). This card will be validated by the Prfecture or sub-Prfecture your residence is located in.

residence permit
Contacts with the Prefecture
Student life and culture department host an agent from the Prefecture representing the Val de Marne district who is employed to assist students who are compiling their documentation seeking a residence permit (please check hours and availability).

Essential requirements
- a photocopy of the student’s passport,

- a photocopy of the student’s visa (including the date of validity of the passport),

- a photocopy of the UPEC student card,

- copy of birth certificate, showing first and second names of the student’s parents (the birth certificate must also be translated into French),

- a statement of the student’s financial situation showing the minimum amount of financial assistance of 430 Euros per month for he first and second cycles, and 536 euros per month for the third cycle. This document may be provided by the International relations departement or if this is not the case, then an alternate statement from your bank certifying that the student has sufficient and regular funds to fund the student’s stay.

- Scholarship recipients of scholarships from foreign governments are considered by UPEC to therefore have sufficient means to cover their costs. Evidence of the formal documentation relating to such scholarships must be provided.

- 3 identity photographs (in format of 3 x 4 cm in black and white)

- a signed statement providing proof of residence, along with a copy of the national identity card or passport of your host if you are staying in someone else’s household.

- the EDF receipt for an electricity or gas bill.

- a stamped envelope (unaddressed)

The process will cost approximately 55 Euros.
The residence permit is free to all students for renewal,whatever their nationality may be.

Students who enter France with a long-term visa giving temporary permission to reside, of a duration greater than 3 months and less than or equal to 6 months, are note obliged to hold a residence permit.


Val de Marne
Préfecture du Val de Marne
Avenue du Général de Gaulle
94011 Créteil
01 49 56 62 67

Centre de réception des étrangers- Hôtel de Police
114/116 avenue du Maine- 75014 Paris
Métro : Gaîté ou Montparnasse- Bus : 58, 28 ou 91

Seine et Marne
Préfecture de Seine et Marne
12, rue Saint Pères
77010 Melun Cedex
01 64 71 78 77

Date of update March 15, 2011

Université Paris 12 Université Paris-Est

Université Paris-Est Créteil Val de Marne

61, avenue du Général de Gaulle
94010 Créteil Cedex France